Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get off of your high horse, Spuds

Originally posted by SCREAMIN EAGLE View Post
    He should have canceled the damn vacation.
    If they want these guys to come to OTA's, then make em mandatory. Otherwise, if the man wants to go on vacation, he can. I'm sure the first time he makes a bad play, you'll come back to the fact that he missed voluntary OTA's as the reason why.
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

No you have it right

DJ is being incredibly stupid to do this - talk about starting over on the wrong foot. It only puts more credence to the FO story of why he was let go.
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

even in HS football it was made very clear our offseason voluntary workouts were not to be missed by anyone at any time for any reason.

you're missing the point I think. It's a brand new team for him and a brand new coach/system for every player there! don't you get it? he should have been the 1st fucking guy there after the rumors about him missing meetings, beign a shitty teammate, and only caring about his stats, etc exploded.

Instead he goes on vacation while the rest of his DC teammates get started? That is the stupidest thing he could have done in his situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
          If they want these guys to come to OTA's, then make em mandatory. Otherwise, if the man wants to go on vacation, he can. I'm sure the first time he makes a bad play, you'll come back to the fact that he missed voluntary OTA's as the reason why.
          My boss told me the other day that most people usually also come in for a few hours on Saturday. I'm not required to do it, so he can go screw.

Comment

Unless you already had a vacation planned

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
            I know. I'm looking at this the wrong way I guess.

I grew up feeling I had a sense of duty to my employers.
            Look at you, trying to spend another man's 25 G's. If you had a vacation planned, eerything paid for, then got a new job offer, would you :

A. Try to talk to said employer and get the OK to go on vacation, or

B. Say "ah, screw it", cancel the vacation and eat the money because you're trying to showcase your sense of duty to your employer.

I'm guessing you'd go with A. Yeah, I know, you don't have the money DeSean does,etc., etc. The fact is, he's doing nothing wrong or out of bounds by not attending a VOLUNTARY minicamp.
            Last edited by Eagle In Ohio; 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM.
            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

You dont get it. Are they optional? Yes. Do the players, teams and coaches view them as mandatory? Yes. Here is a guy that got dressed up like Steve Erkle last week to do a puff piece with his brother in law to change the perception of how people view him, telling me by the way that he has high Characteristic (Yea, I had to laugh at that one) and is a team guy first and foremost and then goes out on a vacation without even blinking an eye. Do you think the guys on this team that are cautiously optimistic about his attitude are thinking he doesn't need to be there? I just wonder if you would give Riley Cooper the same slack that you give #11

Comment

25k : 8 million salary
                $156 : 50k salary

Edited to add: The OTAs are optional because of the CBA.
                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Look at you, trying to spend another man's 25 G's. If you had a vacation planned, eerything paid for, then got a new job offer, would you :

A. Try to talk to said employer and get the OK to go on vacation, or

B. Say "ah, screw it", cancel the vacation and eat the money because you're trying to showcase your sense of duty to your employer.

I'm guessing you'd go with A. Yeah, I know, you don't have the money DeSean does,etc., etc. The fact is, he's doing nothing wrong or out of bounds by not attending a VOLUNTARY minicamp.
                  There you go again comparing real life to that of an NFL player. And yes, he should have cancelled and rescheduled the vacation for 2 weeks later.

Comment

That is your decision

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                    My boss told me the other day that most people usually also come in for a few hours on Saturday. I'm not required to do it, so he can go screw.
                    If your boss wants you there on Saturday, then he should require you to be there. These are woman games that these employers are playing. "I'll make it voluntary, but you need to be here". Either you want them there or not, and if you do, MAKE IT MANDATORY. However, I believe that it is collectively bargained that players do not have to attend these meetings. For all we know, DeSean could have his playbook with him, and is planning on setting aside time each day to study and be into that playbook. Man, the guy's been gone a week, and the gravedancing and people shitting on the guy is at a fever pitch.

Comment

You cannot compare what we do vs what he is paid millions of guaranteed dollars to do.

my vacation would be the equivalent of maybe me losing 2-3% of my yearly salary if I didn't go on it if I was being paid $100,000 by my new employer. However, even saying that, I have actually missed half of a week of a family vacation on the OBX with my family in order to start a job. Employer insisted I stay and start a few days late and I still showed up on the 1st day. I got a lot of respect when I did that, believe me.

Jaccson is being paid $16m over next 3 years. Even a $50k "lost" vacation is equal to 0.003% of his guaranteed income. I think it's a no brainer you show up, esp if I had a reputation of missing meetngs and only caring about getting mine.

he's got 16 million guaranteed reasons to be there learning a new system.

you can take a vacation whenever.

ask any NFL player: these things are NOT voluntary. you lose a TON of respect from your teammates if you're not there. any retired player or respected veteran would verify that as a iron clad fact.
                      Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

There you go again comparing real life to that of an NFL player. And yes, he should have cancelled and rescheduled the vacation for 2 weeks later.
                        I just read about this and it's a non-story. Jackson told them about the vacation schedule before he signed and he's only going to miss a couple days where they are basically doing nothing. Strength and conditioning work. Two weeks from now they will be able to start doing on-field drills.
                        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Bwahhhh

If your boss wants you there on Saturday, then he should require you to be there. These are woman games that these employers are playing. "I'll make it voluntary, but you need to be here". Either you want them there or not, and if you do, MAKE IT MANDATORY. However, I believe that it is collectively bargained that players do not have to attend these meetings. For all we know, DeSean could have his playbook with him, and is planning on setting aside time each day to study and be into that playbook. Man, the guy's been gone a week, and the gravedancing and people shitting on the guy is at a fever pitch.
                          Yea, I'm sure in between body shots, and Instagram posts Erckle is studying his playbook. My god you are delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                            I just read about this and it's a non-story. Jackson told them about the vacation schedule before he signed and he's only going to miss a couple days where they are basically doing nothing. Strength and conditioning work. Two weeks from now they will be able to start doing on-field drills.
                            It's not the fact that he's missing practices and learning a new offense, it's perception from your teammates. Erckle is trying to earn respect from his new teammates. He's trying to show them that evryone is wrong that says he's not a team guy. Doing what he is doing is playing right into the hands of his critics.

Comment

First of all

You dont get it. Are they optional? Yes. Do the players, teams and coaches view them as mandatory? Yes. Here is a guy that got dressed up like Steve Erkle last week to do a puff piece with his brother in law to change the perception of how people view him, telling me by the way that he has high Characteristic (Yea, I had to laugh at that one) and is a team guy first and foremost and then goes out on a vacation without even blinking an eye. Do you think the guys on this team that are cautiously optimistic about his attitude are thinking he doesn't need to be there? I just wonder if you would give Riley Cooper the same slack that you give #11
                              You don't know me, so you really should stop implying that i'm making this or anything else about race. If you knew anything about me at all, which again, you don't, you'd know that making something about race when it's not warranted is not my deal. The guys on this board that really know me, and have actually talked to and broken bread with me know that. I would suggest that you get off of that angle because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Secondly, if these coaches had their way, everything would be mandatory, and they'd run these players into the ground with every little workout and meeting they could find, then cut them when they were used up, so pardon me if I don't get mad at a player for deciding to go on a vacation and get away from football for a little while. However, these workouts were COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED to be voluntary. Of course if this was something like training camp, it would be a different story, but it's not. He's not in the wrong

Comment

You don't know me, so you really should stop implying that i'm making this or anything else about race. If you knew anything about me at all, which again, you don't, you'd know that making something about race when it's not warranted is not my deal. The guys on this board that really know me, and have actually talked to and broken bread with me know that. I would suggest that you get off of that angle because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Secondly, if these coaches had their way, everything would be mandatory, and they'd run these players into the ground with every little workout and meeting they could find, then cut them when they were used up, so pardon me if I don't get mad at a player for deciding to go on a vacation and get away from football for a little while. However, these workouts were COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED to be voluntary. Of course if this was something like training camp, it would be a different story, but it's not. He's not in the wrong
                                First of all, I never mentioned race once. I simply asked if you would give Riley Cooper the same treatment that you seem to give Jackson. And did you really say that he deserves a little time away from football to take a vacation? What the hell has he been doing since January when the Eagles were knocked out of the playoffs?

Comment

Working...
                                X