Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any Foreskinners outraged by the R-word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're an all inclusive hypocrite

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
    My hypocrisy has no limits!!
    I commend you.
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

I actually feel uncomfortable saying that word. I say "people who follow the Jewish religion." But in my crazy mind, I actually believe that there is a difference between "nigger" and "nigga". You can say "3I whats poppin my nigga?" and its no problem. If you say "3I whats happening nigger", thats your ass.
      Absolutely, and it comes down to context. One has become a term of endearment and the other is perceived as a verbal attack.

To me i think that's why I'm not offended with the football team as some suggest i should be. I think it no longer carries the bigotry that it might have when the name was founded 100 years ago.

Not completely off topic, but in a different direction...

I forget what I was watching the other day, but it was from way back and they used the term "colored", which at a has/had a bad connotation...yet the term "People of Color" has widely been accepted as ok. To me, if one is offensive, then so is the other one. I grew up feeling uncomfortable saying both.

Comment

Originally posted by TROGDOR View Post
        I think it no longer carries the bigotry that it might have when the name was founded 100 years ago.

But thats an unsafe assumption. We both might feel that way, but any young native american professional is going to feel different. And if any group of people find it offensive, then they should change the name. Its not like they are asking them to change the team colors or erase the team records, just change the name.

Snyder is going to fold when he starts losing sponsorship dollars because the sponsors are not going to want to be associated with the negative press.
        500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I forget what I was watching the other day, but it was from way back and they used the term "colored", which at a has/had a bad connotation...yet the term "People of Color" has widely been accepted as ok. To me, if one is offensive, then so is the other one. I grew up feeling uncomfortable saying both.

I looked at some of my family's birth certificates:

grandfather- colored

father- negro

mine- black

son- african american

Its all stupid. Look at applications or other admin paperwork. Check this box if you are white, check this box if you are black, check this box if you are non-white, check this box if you are Asian, check this box if you are mexican. So you have categories of "color" and then you have countries...total bullshit.

There is no such thing as race. Its disproven in the science world. We are all the same species with different physical characteristics due to gene isolation. "Race" was created by European shotcallers way back in the day to justify imperialism and slavery.
          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I think it no longer carries the bigotry that it might have when the name was founded 100 years ago.
            That's likely because you don't live near a Reservation. There are still several in WI and when the locals and the tribes mix it can get rather nasty, especially when alcohol is involved ( which is pretty much all the time)

Not proud of my WI brethren in this area, but I've heard "Redskin" and many other slurs from the locals in the bar- especially during deer hunting season because the Native Americans get special hunting/fishing rights and whitey doesn't.

Comment

That's fair, and i'm not saying someone shouldn't be offended by it. I just posed the question if anyone had ever heard it used in a derogatory manner.

Would that young native american professional be offended by it had he not been told that he should be offended by it? I suppose the ultimate trump card against that point is "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

You are right though, at some point money will talk, as it always does.

Comment

Yep it is ridiculous

What I find most amusing is that since all humans originated out of africa, we could all be considered (from a genetic standpoint) - african americans.
                "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                  That's likely because you don't live near a Reservation.
                  That's 100% accurate, and why i posed the question if people actually use that term in a racial slur manner. In this matter, I am more inquisitive because i really don't know, not because i'm trying to dismiss it as untrue.

Comment

"Race" was created by European shotcallers way back in the day to justify imperialism and slavery.
                    Exactly. Its much easier to treat them like shit if they are called a different, "lower" race

Our property here in San Diego was first developed in the 1920s and the Deed says "it may never be sold to a Non-Caucasian"

Rather than going to the trouble of spelling out which races are verboten, they simply said Caucasians are the only ones worthy.
                    And yes, the area was settled by EU xenophobes from England and Germany.

Its startling when you see it in print on the Deed and realize that 1920 wasn't really that long ago. Many of those folks are "still around" in terms of what they taught their children.

"We're the chosen ones, all the others suck"

Comment

That's 100% accurate, and why i posed the question if people actually use that term in a racial slur manner. In this matter, I am more inquisitive because i really don't know, not because i'm trying to dismiss it as untrue.

I wonder if Indian is offensive to Native Americans? Is the use of the word Indian offensive to those who are from India when its used for Native Americans.

When I find myself in a situation when I'm not sure what to say, I just think..."does the person's ethnicity have anything to do with what I'm trying to talk about?"

We (americans) are so comfortable saying this rude Latino woman cut me off in the grocery store parking lot. Well, does the word Latino add anything to that statement? Why can't you just say rude woman? What it does "almost" imply is that the person making the comment has something against Latinos. Communication is dangerous. Context is more important than nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

Comment

Interesting that Canada calls them "Aboriginals"

At least in official demographic nomenclature.
                        "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I wonder if Indian is offensive to Native Americans? Is the use of the word Indian offensive to those who are from India when its used for Native Americans.

When I find myself in a situation when I'm not sure what to say, I just think..."does the person's ethnicity have anything to do with what I'm trying to talk about?"

We (americans) are so comfortable saying this rude Latino woman cut me off in the grocery store parking lot. Well, does the word Latino add anything to that statement? Why can't you just say rude woman? What it does "almost" imply is that the person making the comment has something against Latinos. Communication is dangerous. Context is more important than nouns, verbs, and adjectives.
                          I had the same thought recently too. Are the Cleveland Indians the next team up to get pressured into a name change? I know their cartoon-ish logo, to me, is more offensive than the DC logo.

I'm guilty of that one too, pointing out ethnicity for no reason really. Some of it, i think, is to help the mental image of a situation...but then it's making the assumption that when i don't point it out they were all the same ethnicity as me?

People are stupid, period. I try not to get upset at anything unless it's a personal attack at me.

Comment

I try not to get upset at anything unless it's a personal attack at me.
                            Yep I agree, and to add most personal attacks don't bother me. I hate to give another person control over my life.

Comment

I had the same thought recently too. Are the Cleveland Indians the next team up to get pressured into a name change? I know their cartoon-ish logo, to me, is more offensive than the DC logo.

I'm guilty of that one too, pointing out ethnicity for no reason really. Some of it, i think, is to help the mental image of a situation...but then it's making the assumption that when i don't point it out they were all the same ethnicity as me?

People are stupid, period. I try not to get upset at anything unless it's a personal attack at me.
                              Next up are the Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Fla Seminoles ect... The Redskins have been around since 1932 as I stated in the last thread we had about this.

Comment

on applications and such, I always check the native american box. I was born here!

Comment

Working...
                                X