No announcement yet.

Simmons or Ingram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theres a lot of excuses in this thread for a dude who the excuse makers claim is a no brainer future perrenial all star.

I do think the guy looks the part but I havent seen him deliver enough to dismiss a younger, more polished talent who really looks like a star in the making.
    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

There's a lot to be said for that.

Reluctant shooters and unable or unwilling to carry the torch when you're the best player on a team. Hersey Hawkins was like that. Could shoot the hell out of the ball but looked to pass off when it was a big shot.

There is a lot to be said for having that gunslinger mentality. For whatever reason, Simmons didn't have it.
      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
        Reluctant shooters and unable or unwilling to carry the torch when you're the best player on a team. Hersey Hawkins was like that. Could shoot the hell out of the ball but looked to pass off when it was a big shot.

There is a lot to be said for having that gunslinger mentality. For whatever reason, Simmons didn't have it.
        Simmons scares the hell out of me. A high ceiling is one thing. Having the mindset to reach it is something else entirely.

I'd go Ingram. But I seriously doubt that's what the Sixers will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
          I'm 90% sure Sixers will take Simmons.
          I'd rather draft Simmons and see him not fully reach his potential with the Sixers than have him go to the Lakers and be a perennial superstar.

Fuck the "safer" choice they have the #1 pick. Brett Brown knows the people who have coached him enough to know whether the character issues are overblown.

Comment

I like Simmons better

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
            ANSWER THE QUESTION!
            as the top pick...superstar potential...all of the concerns are valid, not the least of which is if he really wants to go to LA you dont want him disgruntled...the other guy knows how to put the ball in the hole which the Sixers desperately need...plus two Dookies in a row, they rarely work out as pros...

I think Simmons talent makes him the pick if I must choose now.
            Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
            May 7, 2010

Comment

You already have Okafor who cannot hit outside of 10 feet. Simmons O game is currently low post & off a fast break heavy too. He cannot (or will not) take 20 footers at this point.

That's a dangerous addition to a team that is already packed in tight and has no ability to stretch a defense.

If Embiid is indeed healhy and Saric is legit (and coming here next year) you already have a dominant front court on paper. Saric supposedly can hit some bombs and is a very good shooter.

Imagine a SF like Ingram who can stoke 3's and take his man 1:1 off the dribble with that front court?

I'm a Ingram man with 76ers current makeup and youth. Need 2 guards so bad though.
              Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-20-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I share the concerns of most with regard to his "desire" but I think the LA thing is slightly overblown. The article that raised all of that had to do with his shoe deal. Nike would was only likely to raise its offer if he played in LA. Who wouldn't want the most money possible. That said, it's not like he's said he doesn't want to play in Philadelphia or anything like that. Brett Brown coached his father, he knows the family, I'll trust his take on the kid's attitude.

I think someone yesterday made a really good point about his attitude. The 1 year rule is stupid. He basically was having millions of dollars withheld from him arbitrarily. He's 18. I think there is a lot of truth to the notion that going to LSU was his biggest mistake. That coach didn't know how to work with him. Had he gone to Duke or Kentucky to play for a coach used to dealing with superstars, I bet this isn't nearly the issue that I and others were making it out to be.
                "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I'm not sure you pass up on a potentially better player because of the current make up of the team. You tweak the team to suit the superstar. They can bring in shooters (they have the cap space to add role players). Having too many good big men is not a bad problem. It's Brown's job to make it work.

Comment

Ingram can do things Simmons will never be able to. He's a natural scorer. I don't know if Simmons can ever develop a shot like Ingram's. I think you can take Simmons out of a game at next level easier than you can Ingram. There's absolutely ZERO "pop the 3 or take you off the dribble" component to Simmons' game. He's easier to stop in a half court offense.

And I'm not sure there ever will be a inside/outside aspect to Simmons game. Maybe but I know Ingram already can be elite scorer and defender. And he played his best in biggest spotlight. Simmons never has shown up like Ingram did. Shit, NC St held his ass to 6 points!!

There's no way I'd take Simmons over Ingram.

I would do everything I could to trade spots with Lakers and get a player out of it. There's probably no way to get Russell by swapping 1's and giving them Noel but I sure would ask.
                    Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Regarding Simmons...he's a squealer

https://youtu.be/ZjIwRTsRIPE
                      Last edited by Cheesesteak; 05-20-2016, 12:09 PM.
                      YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

their highlight reels aren't really even that close IMO.

Ingram is a stone cold assassin on O and you saw him become greater in March/April when his team needed him most. He grew a lot from early in the season to ACC tourney/March Madness.

Simmons has to get close to rim or he's a non factor scoring wise. Dont' see the God given shooter's touch required to remedy his lack of outside scoring at next level. LeBron wasn't exactly Mr. Outside coming out of HS....but LeBron has a will to win that I don't think Simmons will ever display. he's also a freak athlete for his size. nobody has that combination, Simmons included.

Ingram just has the 'it' factor. want me to kill you from downtown or embarrass you off the dribble and dunk on your ass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGf2eF3fZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf6EKfsVg9Y
                        Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Ingram has the potential and drive to be great but I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Get off his dick.

Shooting can be improved. Athleticism, size, handling, vision on the other hand...

Simmons in a point forward-type role could be scary good. His transition O is already elite and he drawls fouls at a higher rate than James Harden which is a big deal in today's soft NBA. It's easier to find shooters to put around him than it is to find a type of talent like him.

Also, I'm excited about Saric but I don't expect him to tear it up right away. He's making a significant jump and shouldn't be counted on to do anything (yet).

Comment

We've been down this road before during the 'process'.

http://igglephans.com/iggboard/showt...ferrerid=23745

I would have been happier with the #2 and #4 but beggars can't be choosers. As far as who I like between the two, who knows? I watched more college games than Sixers games this year and here's what I saw. I wasn't impressed with Simmons and I think Skinny Brandon outplayed him this year.

That being said, I don't know if that necessarily automatically translates in the NBA. Most everyone on here makes good points. I flip flop daily on who I like better. I'm going to have to rely on them picking the right player. At this point, I thought I would be on here talking about how I liked Murray more than Dunn.

Comment

I'd actually argue it the other way. I think Simmons is the one who has attributes that Ingram can never learn. Simmons will never be the shooter that Ingram is, but he doesn't have to be. He just has to be good enough to make people respect it and not play 3 feet off the ball in half court (or at least, do it to their peril). Then he will be nightmare to defend. On the other hand, Ingram can't learn the quickness and ball skills that Simmons has.

My biggest concern remains his attitude. I can forgive him for being immature. Maybe going to LSU where he was playing with guys that weren't even close to his level was a bad choice. Like I've said, it's up to the Sixers to evaluate that. If they think he is a lazy, self entitled jerk, they shouldn't take him. But, if they feel otherwise, I'm not sure you can pass him up. Ultimately, I'd be happy with either.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                                . But, if they feel otherwise, I'm not sure you can pass him up. Ultimately, I'd be happy with either.
                                why cant they pass him up? to me youre describing a blake griffin type ceiling and that isnt the type of player that will haunt you if you dont have him.
                                "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Working...
                                X