Remain Legendary - IRISH GEORGE update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remain Legendary - IRISH GEORGE update

As some of you may know, IG has been fighting brain cancer and it's incredibly sad to share that his time is near. Love him or hate him, Irish George has been a member of this community since the beginning and he's been instrumental in creating this insane and hilarious Igglephans culture.

He's been my personal friend for over 20 years and my season ticket partner since the Linc opened. When I was younger, he was a mentor. When I grew up, he was my brother. When I was struggling, he picked me up. He is one of the kindest, most generous, thoughtful, hilarious and incredible people I have met. A true Igglephan and supporter of Philadelphia sports, Temple everything, hater of Dullass, Foreskins, etc.

His family has asked that you refrain from reaching out to him directly. I'm going to see him and can share any thoughts you have for him. I want to use this thread in his honor and please share your fondest IG memories, as well as anything you want me to pass along to him or the family. If you don't feel comfortable sharing on the board, just hit me up in PM.

He always said to us, "REMAIN LEGENDARY!!" and yes he will.

I've got hundreds of funny IG stories, but at this sentimental time, I really will never forget watching the Superbowl with him and being together for the parade. The combined day / night of the SB victory + parade may have been the best of my life. At one point in time, Tim and his daughter were sharing a joint and his daughter said...DAD THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE'VE SMOKED TOGETHER. That was during Kelce's speech. EPIC. We used to joke that bc we were season ticket buddies, we have never hugged another man more than each other and that day it was the ultimate love fest.
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Irish George helped me hit the ground running on this board. From goading me on during piss bets, to greeting me with a spirited “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” at gaytes.

I loved talking hoops, rasslin, and just about anything else with IG. I’ll never forget the day he had me down to his part of NJ and introduced me to the legendary Red Klotz (my side takeaway here is Red LOVED John Salmons… I guess he was Generals material). It was so awesome to see the labor of love he was pouring into his book.

Like Diggs said, so many memories. The Phillies yearbooks, the laughs, the simple joys of just hanging out with friends, seeing his pride in Iggly Wiggly as I was ribbing her for the Green Day obsession.

Love you, IG! I hope Skeds has one rolled and ready for you.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

this truly sadd news,,,We love you IG.....We miss ya..
      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
      "BFTR"

Comment

Truly sad sad news....his absence has been felt especially with the historic Dallas v Philly montage..he helped me through my divorce and forever I'll be grateful...let's hope the Philths can finish this. Slainte'

Comment

Very sad to read this. It was always a highlight for me seeing him at the GAYTE. He would yell "KEN FROM CANADA!!" He had all sorts of funny stories about French Canadian girls coming to "the Shore" for summer holidays. Give him my very best.
          Last edited by KenfromCanada; 10-21-2022, 06:11 PM.
          Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Like so many here, I’ve known IG for my entire tenure at Igglephans. He has been a consistent source of wit and humor, and I’ve missed his prose for so long. I hope he is comfortable and at peace during this time.

Comment

Terribly sad. Was always really nice to me and took an interest in what was going on in my life. I particularly remember him really making my wife feel at home at a Sixers gayte when she didn't know many people.

So many hilarious stories and the source of so many great running board jokes.

Remain legendary, indeed.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

IG was a larger than life character that got me hooked on this community back on the Philly News board. Our de facto leader, a pillar to everything Igglephans. Always one to encourage participation, a welcoming personality at every gayte.

It was on one of these occasions IG brought his tray of clams and while sampling one I noticed he was choking and needed assistance. I helped with the Heimlich, he thanked me, we yucked it up and I didn’t think anymore about it. A few weeks later a Montgomery Jersey from Mitchell and Ness showed up in the mail.

I put my Igglephans jersey on the hanger and have worn Montgomery ever since.

Truly a legend.

Be at peace Mr George, my fellow birthday mate, and know you are in our hearts forever.
                Last edited by Raptor; 10-21-2022, 08:02 PM.
                "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

My earliest memory of Igglephans might be TOSTITOS IRISH GEORGE. That's more than 20 years ago now. Hard to believe, really.

You guys were all just names on a screen for a while, but that first tailgate was amazing. Everyone knew everyone, and IG was in the middle of it all. I remember thinking how hilarious it was that this dude who was so rabid online looked like a suburban super dad, and called me Annie.

He was always so encouraging about my career, even when I wasn't sure it was going to work out. And after my dad came to one tailgate, he always asked after my old man.

IG, you'll be missed.

-AE

Comment

Could you PM me?

Comment

Summer of ‘99. The first beisbol gayte. 7 or 8 board legends and me, meeting for the first time in real life. And right from the beginning, IG was the leader of the pack.

He played a major role in driving the Wangnutz off the board.

He was my friend. I rode with him. I got no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                        Could you PM me?
                        sent you a note on facenutz
                        WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Damn…I never had an opportunity to meet the legend IG in person. Got to know him only through social media and of course the bored. Bored fucking legend! Watching him purge the trolls and wangnuts was a thing of beauty. Fuck Chinese furniture and kid sweat shops! IG, KG and myself…all lovers of titty milk. This is very sad news.
                          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

FUCK CANCER!!!
                            500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Wow this is horrible news. I don't pop in very often and had no idea. Now I feel bad asking last week about his legendary DallASS game picture montages of dallASS vs Philly. Those will never be forgotten.

My last memory of IG was probably the last time I saw him - he talked me into doing the Capt. Bill Gallagher 10 mile run in Sea Isle City in August. I don't know how many times he did it in a row but it was alot. Anyway, this is a brutal run as it is usually in the 90s, it starts in the afternoon, and it's 2.5 miles on macadam boardwalk and 7.5 miles of running on the sand. This was 2014 - we lucked out in that it was cloudy (but very windy) and a little cooler so we didn't die of heat stroke. We hung out many hours after drinking beer and eating pizza at friends of his.

Will pray for him and his family. He truly was legendary.

Rick

"I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                              X